Velvet Leather

Day three of the Blogging U. poetry class features skintastic prose poetry. Prose poetry is an oxymoron if ever I heard one, but since I’m game to try anything, here goes nothing…

His skin was velvet beneath my fingers, and radiant. Smooth as silk, warm as fleece, he was the sun to my moon, and I loved him. I loved him. Delicate lines gathered near his eyes, marking the edges of his smile. My fingers danced over them, tracing memories. He laughed, and I loved him. I loved him.

connection

But then winter came, and clouds filled his eyes. The warmth fled from him like an insect flees light. The smiles of old vanished like thieves in the night, but still I loved him. I loved him. His skin was leather beneath my fingers, and stained sickly gold. Wrinkled and rough, no longer himself, he lay there cold as the winter snow, and I loved him.

I love him. And I always will.

So what do you think? I know it’s a bit light on the skin part, but I kind of like it. I took two images of skin and tried to blend them into a story (because I love poetry that tells a story). Does it work for you? How would you handle this challenge? Tell me in the comments, and have a great day!

(c) 2015. All rights reserved.

Advertisements

12 thoughts on “Velvet Leather

My mom had cancer. She developed jaundice just before she died, and I remember when I touched her hand in the casket that it felt like leather. It was awful.

I’m sorry about your dad; talk about terrible timing. I hope he recovers quickly and completely! What’s his prognosis?

Liked by 1 person

• Melinda Kucsera says:

I’m sorry to hear about your mom. He had a stroke on father’s day but he’s recovering but it’ll take him years to get everything back. My sister’s hand felt like wax dummy’s hand in the coffin. She died last year at 29. Thank you for your kind words.

Wow, what happened to your sister? My mom was only 31.

My dad had a stroke when I was 13. He was lucky, though – his recovery was relatively short and there were no lingering effects. I hope your dad will be as lucky.

Liked by 1 person

• Melinda Kucsera says:

Thanks. The neurologist is optimistic about his recovery. He will get all or nearly all of his speech, motor control and mental acuity over time. Possibly up to two years if he keeps working had to improve. My sister was an insulin dependent diabetic. She died suddenly and mysteriously in Feb 2015 while on vacation. The coroner ruled her death natural due to complications of her diabetes. Thanks for asking. I miss her so much.

That’s fantastic! Here’s hoping he recovers faster than expected. 🙂

That’s so sad about your sister. *hugs* I read your posts about her; she was my age. I wish I was as close to my sister as you were to yours, but I take comfort in knowing at least my kids are close to each other, and I hope they stay that way as they get older.

Liked by 1 person

1. Kathy says:

I think you did a great job with the skin part – nice imagery – I can see it. It moves me the way you describe your love…always. I couldn’t think of anything with skin, so my “skin” is snow and leaves – the skin of nature.

Liked by 1 person

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )