Outlining, synopsis-style

He crossed the room slowly as the unseen hand of his tutor banged on the door again. The knocking had a tone and texture all its own, not unlike a voice. It was at once demanding, frustrated, and annoyed, as if the person knocking would much rather be somewhere, anywhere, else. Michael had never noticed such a thing in a knock before; he wondered what else he’d missed as he had sailed through life trying to engage fully with a half dozen different things all at once.

-The Lokana Chronicles: Fog of War

I’ve been working on my story again. It’s been a while, though, and I’ve lost touch with what I’d written before, so I’m rereading it and creating a synopsis so that I have something to look back at any time I need a bit of a refresher. The quote above is from Chapter 7.

Of course, the problem is that my normal process is to edit as I go. I’m trying not to do that this time, as an experiment to see how long it would take me to write a book and then edit. I’ve made a few editorial notes for later and corrected a couple of typos for clarity’s sake, but otherwise, I’ve struggled not to edit. And believe me when I say it was a struggle.

It’s been kind of a crazy week, both work-wise and on the home front. But apparently when Seymour said he wanted to go to a movie tonight, he meant he was going to take Miss Tadpole and Bubbles with him, because I came home to an empty house tonight. So look out, WIP! Once Cricket and Thumper are in bed, it’s on like Donkey Kong! ๐Ÿ˜€

Or maybe not. The family’s back and want to watch Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2. Let the HP Rewatch Finale begin! ๐Ÿ˜€

(c) 2013. All rights reserved.

23 thoughts on “Outlining, synopsis-style

The nerve! Seymour posted an ecard on my Facebook yesterday bluntly telling me that I needed to write because, as a writer, it was my duty to do so. But when I suggested that he stay home and take the kids off my hands so that I could do just that, he declined to acquiesce to my request.

He’s lucky he’s cute. ๐Ÿ˜€

• Roger says:

Men! What god are we? Actually I don’t think that at all but my beloved is always venturing the same question.
        To paraphrase “We exist,so we are.” which is a sort of paraphrase of “I’m pink therefore I’m spam.”
        Neither of which phrases really mean anything, but I’m tired. I just typed over thirty pages today to finish my latest novel and now I can barely think.

I feel your pain – I was like that after tax season was over. If I actually ask for some time to write, which I don’t very often, Seymour is usually pretty good about giving it to me. He took the kids to see Star Trek Into Darkness last night, though. The kids liked it, but I think Seymour wished he’d stayed home and let me write.

• Roger says:

I hope you’re not dissing Star Trek. Having said that if given a choice to see it, or write, then I’d been sharpening my keyboard.

Of course not! I’m really not a big fan of what J.J. Abrams is doing to it (I’m still mad about Vulcan), but I do think the actors in the new movies have done an excellent job – Chris Pine is James Kirk. I want to see it, but I’m content to wait till it comes out on DVD. I was given the choice of going along. I chose to stay home and write.

Of course, I didn’t realize that by the time I had a chance to sit down and write, they’d all be back and I wouldn’t actually get anything done, but I guess that’s what weekends are for. Bring on naptime! ๐Ÿ˜€

• Roger says:

I remember sleep – vaguely.I loved the first new S/T film, although I wasn’t entirely convinced that the villain was necessary, or even entirely villain-ish.

He was really more of a tragic figure, in my opinion, like Annorax in the Voyager episode “Year of Hell.” At least, right up until he blew up Vulcan. He (and Mr. Abrams) earned my unending hatred for that move.

I’m a bit of a rabid fangirl, and this has not been my year when it comes to shows. Bones ended the season badly; Seymour said I’m not going to be happy with Star Trek; and there was something else, too, but now I can’t remember what it was. *sigh* Maybe I should start applying for screenwriting jobs? ๐Ÿ˜€

• Roger says:

I read the first two bones books, and although they were good, there wasn’t enough story for over four hundred pages.
            Do you know how much screenwriters get paid? It’s barely union rate.

I haven’t read any of the books – I love the show, but I’m afraid if I read the books, it might ruin the show for me. On the other hand, Kathy Reichs has to be a better writer than whoever is doing the writing for the TV series.

As for screenwriting, I have no business attempting it. I took a radio and television writing class once in college and did terribly. I think I’ll stick to what I know. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Roger says:

I always find myself going to back to Patricia Cornwell and her kay Scarpetta books. Reichs is good but I think Cornwell is far better.
            I once wrote a screenplay when I was bored and it was utter trash. I’ll stick to what I like, also.

• Roger says:

The only thing is that she’s quit so I’ll have to find someone else. I prefer a woman’s perspective in that kind of book. Their detail is always so much more exact.

I’ve not read that kind of book, really. It’s funny – I don’t mind watching that sort of thing on TV, but it’s not the sort of thing I like to read. You’d think it wouldn’t make much difference, but it seems to.

For instance, a friend of mine loves Castle. She happened upon one of the books at a local discount store and let me borrow it. I’ve been reading it simply because I’m a fan of Nathan Fillion, but so far I think I’ve only managed 20-30 pages. There’s nothing wrong with it. It’s competently written. There have even been a couple of things so far that made me literally laugh out loud. But I just haven’t been able to get sucked into it the way I would like.

• Roger says:

Everyone’s tastes differ and thank goodness for it.Imagine if the world top ten sellers were all in the same genre. you can bet it wouldn’t be Y/A SF or comedy SF, both my favourite writing and reading material. I wouldn’t get a look in.

Bubbles, aka Tomcat, earned this nickname one night when he used bar soap to wash his hair. He used a ton and didn’t get it all washed out, so his hair was all stiff when it dried. When we took him upstairs and stuck his head under the water, it bubbled. He’s been Bubbles ever since. ๐Ÿ˜€

Oh, HP. After marathoning the movies, I really want to reread all the books. And get sucked into Pottermore. And, you know, leap headlong into fandom the way that one does. Why has no one actually invented a time turner yet?

Thanks! I’ll need it. The more I read, the stronger my urge to edit becomes. I don’t remember doing the edit-as-I-go thing when I was younger; I think that was something I started doing with The Lokana Chronicles. But since that has been my major writing focus for the the last decade (aside from my current WIP, which is its sequel), it’s getting harder to remember what my writing was like before I “learned how to write.” I think I may have picked up a bad habit or two. :/

Here’s hoping I can stick it through to the end with this and that it won’t take me seven years to finish another first draft!