With Labor Day now but a memory, I feel it’s time to kick my blog back into high gear. And by high gear, I mean posting more than once a month.
Because, you know, I’m a writerly type. And writerly types write.
Okay, then. It’s been a while! I’m still trying to make my head stop spinning after the whirlwind that was my summer, which I truly can’t believe is over already. It’s true what they say – the older you get, the faster time passes. And with that in mind, here are some of the ways I spent my time this summer:
- Camping. A lot. Camping includes, but is not limited to, swimming, tubing, hiking, fishing, playing cards, roasting marshmallows, grilling, and touring maize mazes, nature centers, petting zoos, and museums.
- Not writing. I’m finally starting to feel the ideas percolating again, and it’s a good feeling. I don’t like feeling burned out/stressed out/freaked out about writing, because writing has been my one constant in life. Without it, I don’t quite feel like me.
- Reading. Not as much as I’d like, and certainly not as much as I should, but I’m making progress on my Goodreads challenge, which was to read at least 18 books this year. A paltry amount compared to what I used to read, but with kids in activities and football season approaching, I can only make so much time for things. On the bright side, most of the books in my queue for the next month or so are books I’ll be reviewing right here, so stay tuned for my thoughts!
- Playing Pokémon GO! I never really got into Pokémon when it was huge back in the day, but I have my work friends to thank for addicting me to it now. I just wish I could find something other than pidgeys and weedles. And rattatas. I seem to see the same half-dozen or so Pokémon everywhere I go, but despite that, it’s still a lot of fun, especially when I take over every gym in town (though to be honest, that sounds more impressive than it really is – the Brook only has three gyms). I’m feeling less stiff than normal, thanks to all the walking (though really, I could do more). Go Team Mystic! 🙂
- Getting ready for school. Not for myself, though maybe that could happen next year, but for Cricket, who started kindergarten this fall. A week later, he still loves everything about school, from his classmates to his teacher to riding the bus. Bubbles loves football practice and can’t wait for his first game, and Miss Tadpole is glad to be back with her friends. Poor Thumper felt a bit left out, but then preschool started and he got to join in all the school-time fun. Something tells me that this time next year, when he heads off to kindergarten, I’m going to be a blubbering mess.
- Reconnecting with my camera. Or rather, the camera in my phone. I’ve taken a boatload of pictures this summer and even shared a few, and I’d rather forgotten how much fun it is to capture the perfect shot.
- Winning! One of those pictures I shared garnered me a $30 Lula Roe credit. Look out, new clothes, here I come! 🙂
- Planning. Big changes are in store, and I can’t wait for the messy part of change to be over with (change is always messy, and I’m not fond of mess). Still, it’s exciting. I’m excited. *cue the fanfare*
- Discovering! The boys and I discovered caterpillars on one of our many camping trips, which also meant discovering the wonder of Opa’s handmade bug barn. I also rediscovered my love of calligraphy after stumbling across a calligraphy set at an antique store that Seymour and I discovered near our campground. We also discovered a great little pizza place and a nice consignment shop while camping.
- Trying not to lose my schnitzel. Seriously, the struggle is real.
What about you? How did you pass the lazy, carefree days? Let’s catch up in the comments!
(c) 2016. All rights reserved.