Day 28: Focus

It’s really hard to focus on anything other than zoning out in front of the TV right now. I have photos to scan, videos to fix, poems and stories to write, and an anthology to edit, and I can’t seem to focus on any of it. Sunday I had a movie marathon with the kids, and yesterday morning it continued, and that was all I could summon the mental energy for.

I want to know when I’ll be able to go back to work. I want to know when my kids will be able to go back to school (not this school year, but the beginning of the coming school year is up in the air at this point). I want to know when things will return to some semblance of normal.

But the answers to those questions are, like so much else right know, a great big unknown.

My state is one of several that never issued a shelter-in-place order. My county is part of a region of our state that was particularly hard-hit and is therefore under more restrictions than other areas, but for me at least, nothing really changed when the stepped-up restrictions were released. Our governor is currently hosting her daily press conference, and while I’m interested in what she has to say, I find it hard to focus on the press conferences as well.

As I’m writing this, the words on the screen keep blurring before my eyes. Focus is so hard to achieve, regardless of whatever it is I’m trying to focus on.

The wind is picking up here; it’s been raining off and on all morning, and it looks like another storm is approaching. I love to write during storms, but I just can’t right now, which is annoying since I actually have the time to do so.

How is your ability to focus these days?

(c) 2020. All rights reserved.

12 thoughts on “Day 28: Focus

I feel that! I’m on hormone replacement therapy, which is supposed to help my memory, except that I often forget to take the pills when I’m supposed to. It’s a vicious circle – if I remember to take my meds, my memory would be better, but that requires me to remember them in the first place. *sigh*

Liked by 2 people

• Controlled Chaos says:

My husband finally got me to write out a list on my phone of all the meds I take, when I take them, and what they look like. He says he suggested it awhile ago, but I don’t remember that. ๐Ÿคทโ€โ™€๏ธ๐Ÿ˜‚
        Also, I’m only 37, I’m sure that my memory will only improve with age… that’s the way it works, right? ๐Ÿ˜‚

Liked by 1 person

My husband suggested I set alarms on my phone so I remember to take my meds, but it doesn’t always help. I’m only 36, so if my memory manages to simply maintain where it’s at right now, I’ll consider it a win! ๐Ÿ˜‚

Liked by 1 person

That’s EXACTLY what happens to me! I’m supposed to take one in the morning and one at night and I always forget the morning one because mornings are usually super crazy at our house. I finally started carrying it with me so that I’d have it available when I did remember to take it, but half the time when I do remember to take it, I can’t remember if I’ve done it or not, so then I don’t take it because I don’t want to inadvertently double up my dose. I’ve tried using pill organizers so that at least I’d know whether or not I’ve already taken my meds, but then it’s the same issue of remembering to take them.

I feel a lot like Miss Price from Bedknobs and Broomsticks. If you don’t know the movie, her memory is atrocious. Also, it’s a really great movie. ๐Ÿ˜Š

Liked by 1 person

• Controlled Chaos says:

I have FOUR pill organizers placed strategically where I will hopefully remember to take my meds when I’m supposed to. Luckily, it does seem to help me some. And the entire reason that I have four pill organizers is to make absolutely certain that I’m not accidentally overdosing myself.

Bedknobs and Broomsticks! It’s been forever since I’ve seen that movie!

Liked by 1 person

If I set my pills out on my nightstand, I’ more apt to remember them, but then my nightstand looks really cluttered. And I never have trouble remembering to take my nighttime meds, whether they’re out on my nightstand or tucked in a drawer, because they help me sleep. It’s just those pesky moenin ones… ๐Ÿ˜‚

My husband ended up with my pill organizer, and it works for him, which is great.

I haven’t watched Bedknobs and Broomsticks in forever, either. I think I’ll have to watch it later, whether the kids want to watch it with me or not! ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

Liked by 1 person

1. snowqueensvt says:

Non-existent (my ability to focus). I binge watch crime drama while playing a game on the tablet, while eating an apple – most nights after work… And I had such dreams, such plans (to finish soooo many projects and read sooooooooo many books)))

Liked by 1 person

Same! I still have so many things I want to get done while I’m home, but I have no idea if I’ll finish them or not. Not being able to concentrate on one thing at a time long enough to complete something makes it hard to complete anything. Fingers crossed we’ll both make a little more headway on our goals!

Are you working from home?