I got the idea for this post from my friend Sammy, and the idea is to list thirteen positive things and connected to me (at least, that’s what I gathered from her brief intro). This list is in no particular order, except for the order in which they occurred to me. So, without further ado, here are thirteen positive things from 2013.
- The lump in my breast (miniscule as it was) was nothing to worry about. I’m still trying to pay for the mammogram that my insurance didn’t cover, but I’m just happy to be healthy.
- I took a writing class this fall! I loved it! I want to do it again!
- We tried three times to potty train Cricket. The third time seems to be the charm with him. I am ecstatic at the prospect of only having to buy diapers for one child from here on out (and hopeful that Thumper won’t be far behind his big brother).
- I had three wonderful camping trips with my wonderful family, and I can’t wait to do it again next year.
- We bought a farm! Well, an acreage, anyway. I loathe moving, and we still haven’t sold our house yet, but I think this place might be better for us in a lot of ways. Still, I’m not looking forward to remodeling.
- I read the entire Hunger Games trilogy in a weekend. I haven’t done something like that since high school.
- The Lokana Chronicles once again underwent considerable revisions. I think I’m getting a handle on what I need to do to fix it, and my writing class helped with this immensely. Now I just need to buckle down and revise it one.more.time.
- I started keeping a diary again. I used to always keep one (a paper one, bound in pretty pink), but 2011 and 2012 were bad years in terms of entries recorded. I’m glad to get back in this habit because writing everything out has always been a great help to me in times of stress. As a matter of fact, I think I’ll be writing in it again a little later tonight, since I won’t be getting much sleep thanks to a sick little cricket. Poor guy.
- Amazon changed their payout threshold and I finally saw money from the sale of my book! It wasn’t much, but it would be enough to buy me lunch at the Weathered Wheel twice (assuming I got chili and hot tea, which, let’s face it, I certainly would because it’s winter and I live in Siberia, apparently).
- I thought I had posted it here, but I had a goal to lose weight in 2013. In the last 18 months (give or take), I’ve lost 58 pounds. I am ecstatic. I still have another 30 pounds to go to reach my goal (I want to weigh what I did back in college, before I started having kids), and I hope I can accomplish that goal in 2014. Even if I don’t, though, I’m still quite proud of myself.
- For the first time in probably four years, I found my Christmas spirit.
- I started writing short fiction again. In 2012, I only wrote one short story (at least that I posted here, anyway), but in 2013, I wrote six of them (and completed five). I’m still working on the last one, which I started in May, and I have a feeling it may end up being closer in length to a novella than a short story, but I’ve never written a novella before, so that would be cool with me. It would be even cooler if the story turns out awesome.
- My kids constantly amazed me this year. I have so many fun memories and great stories to embarrass them with someday, and I’m going to try to squeeze as many as possible into our annual photo book for easy reference when they start dating. 😀
And now, it’s time for bed. Cricket apparently has the flu, so I’m hoping to take advantage of as much sleep as I can get before he wakes up again. Hope your 2014 is happy and healthy, and off to a better start than mine!
(c) 2013. All rights reserved.